Technical part of downgrading SaaS - Need Help!

Hey SaaSy folks,
I have a few questions related to handling downgrades.

1. If an organization chooses 20 seats initially and downgrades to 10 seats after a few months, what happens to the data (user accounts + work they had done ) of the deactivated 10 seats.

2. If an organization chooses 20 seats initially and downgrades to 10 seats after a few months and then upgrades back to 20 seats with the same 10 deactivated users. should I be creating a new set of user accounts or continue with the same user’s accounts

How do you handle these cases,
Thank you.

2 Likes

My suggestion would be to keep the data of deactivated accounts unless there is heavy infra cost involved in doing so and allow for reactivating the previously deactivated accounts.

BTW, I am assuming that

• Orgs can choose to deactivate (and reactivate) specific users as part of normal user management and not just during downgrading.
  • You don’t allow orgs to downgrade if they have more active seats than they are downgrading to.
5 Likes

perfect! thank you for the suggestion.

2 Likes

Apply the rule of “minimal friction” – and consider what you would want if you were the customer. I’d suggest archiving the old seats, and allowing the customer to restore them if the user upgrades later.

2 Likes