I'm Nick Francis, Co-founder and CEO of Help Scout. AMA!

Hello Varun, congrats on your incredible growth! Growing at that rate can most definitely be a shock to the system, even if you do it really well. 2 :point_right: 40 in 12 months is a lot.

What I tell people is that in a remote team, at 25 people you’ll need the organization, process, and procedure of a 100+ co-located team. While that may sound like a negative thing, it’s much easier to create and implement this stuff when the team is smaller. I’m guessing cross-team collaboration is a big challenge you are facing, which typically points to a lack of clarity around process and procedure.

Many companies underestimate the investment required in their people. You can’t just hire people to built the product and expect them to work well together – you have to hire folks that focus solely on the team and culture as well. In my experience, building a culture is no easier than building a product.

At 40 people, I’d have 2-3 people on the team fully focused on what we call People Ops. It includes HR, hiring, and talent management. Hire really good people whose success measures include supporting the team and solving some of the challenges you identify.

In a separate comment I mentioned the success we’ve had bringing in program management as a function:

One thing that’s been a game-changer is hiring a technical program manager to help the team work better across teams and complex projects. If I were to do it over, I’d bring this function in way earlier.

I’d also give that some thought. People Ops and Program Management will enable your team to solve hard remote challenges. You’ve just got to think way ahead in terms of making those investments.

As for hiring, I always caution that going remote is not a cost savings if you do it right – the costs are merely distributed differently than a co-located team. It hasn’t been my experience that hiring is more difficult or expensive. We get far more applicants than co-located teams and typically better quality because of the much larger hiring pool.

At your size, I think it’s worth having one in-house recruiter. Posting on job boards doesn’t typically get you very far. Otherwise I’d have to get more specifics to offer any further advice.

2 Likes