I'm Nick Francis, Co-founder and CEO of Help Scout. AMA!

Hey Sofia! Great question. This blog post has a few tips and tricks we’ve developed over time. We’ve since migrated from Trello to Jira, but otherwise the tools mentioned in the post are still accurate.

The teams function much like co-located teams in principle: each one is a cross-functional group of engineers, QA, design, support, and product. The team has a mission and a roadmap. We work in 8-week development cycles and try to ship at least a portion of a project within the dev cycle.

One resource that’s been very inspirational to us in terms of building products is a book called Shape Up, by Ryan Singer from Basecamp. I’d highly recommend giving it a read. They are really good at this stuff.

Currently our product/engineering organization is about 50-ish people. One thing that’s been a game-changer is hiring a technical program manager to help the team work better across teams and complex projects. If I were to do it over, I’d bring this function in way earlier. Here’s a screenshot of the job description we used for the role.

3 Likes