I'm David Okuniev co-founder and creator of Typeform & VideoAsk

Wow! Daaaaaaaaave! Super nice to hear from you!

Companies are like organisms, they evolve as they grow.

I would set the right expectations with your team because you will always find resistance to change. If you are clear about the goal you want to reach and make sure they share the same vision, change will become a daily/monthly/yearly part of growing up as a company.

I do have nostalgia for the early days of Typeform. It was great, but some aspects of the culture, imo, was somewhat holding us back as we started to scale.

That said, when people leave/move on from Typeform today they usually send a goodbye email to the whole company in which they more than often highlight the people-driven culture. So even though we’re much better organised and effective through better structure and processes, we’ve retained that sense of belonging and kinship with colleagues.

To your other question…

VideoAsk has been super fast in customer delivery for several reasons:

1. Small team with no dependencies
  2. Newer code base with more recent technologies (no legacy)
  3. I’m the acting PM, product designer and I’m also doing some FE development. This avoids slow decision making and bottlenecks.
  4. We can take more risks (smaller venture), so we can be more pragmatic, making us faster.

Ideal team size: 6, no more than 8. We’ve now split into 2 teams (Videoask Core / VideoAsk growth)

To your point about the v2 builder…
We’re just completing work now on the v2 builder for VideoAsk. We were just 2 people building that, Francisco and me. I think we would have been slower had we got the whole team involved + it means they were free to ship other features!

4 Likes