I'm Sofia Quintero. Founder and CEO at EnjoyHQ. Previously, Head of Growth at Geckoboard. Customer Research is my thing... AMA!

Thanks for your question! :grinning: With enough work and dedication, anybody can become great at research methods. What I appreciate the most about researchers is their ability to negotiate, communicate, and lead.

The same applies to designers. I’ve worked with many talented designers whose portfolios are mind blowing but they are unable to explain their design process, meet deadlines, proactively reach out to customers, or communicate basic rationales for their decision-making.

If you want to be a great researcher and work for businesses, try to understand what else is expected of you outside of knowing how to apply research methods.

I have talked to a lot of researchers who are frustrated with their work. They feel that nobody cares about their research outcomes, or they believe that their organizations are not using their insights. More often than not, they fail to realize that it’s their responsibility to communicate the value they provide and that they need to have a bias toward practicality and not academic perfection.

Focus on pushing the business forward while taking care of the quality of the research and the outcomes. All at the same time.

3 Likes