I'm Mogens Møller. I'm CEO and Co-founder of Sleeknote. AMA!

Hi Akhilesh,

Thanks for your question.

Actually the usability tests are pretty similar. I use the same introduction script (I’ve pasted below). Then if I want to test our website, I typically start them out at Google and let them search for popup tools. This typically bring them to some of our competitors websites which is great. I let them browse these sites. Then afterwards I take them to Sleeknote.com and give them a task. For example: “Figure out if Sleeknote will make sense for you to try/buy”.

After giving them this task, I set them free. Now I don’t want to interrupt, just watch and listen.

Then I probably have some more tasks e.g. about our pricing page.

By letting them visit competitors website first, they can often say stuff like: “I liked this better at X” or “This description of exit intend popups was much easier to understand here than on X other website”. This is really helpfull in the following optimization work.

If we want to test a popup builder, I typically let them start a free trial and create a popup that will make sense for their website. Again, I give them the task, and the shut up, listen and watch.

I usually use eye-tracking equipment as well. But this is definitely not necessary to get value out of usability testing.

Here’s my typical script. Feel free to copy it :slight_smile:

Small talk

Introduction

You’ll now be part of our usability test, which basically means that you’ll browse a website and tell me what you experience. It’s neither complicated nor hard. Just imagine sitting at home in your living room, browsing the Internet.

The only thing different, is that you must think out loud while you browse. I.e. try to tell what you think works, what doesn’t work, what’s logical, illogical, etc.

The purpose of this test is to get a fresh set of eyes on the website and experience how others use it. You can’t do anything wrong during the test. If there’s something on the website you can’t figure out, it’s not your fault, but rather the website that isn’t built correctly.

Don’t be afraid to upset me. I’m doing this to optimize my website, so I need you to be completely honest.

Scenario

Your bike was just stolen. You use your bike every day to work, so you’ll need to purchase a new one immediately.

Google

Start your search on Google and enter the word or sentence that first comes to mind.

Scroll down the search results and decide which pages you’d click on first.

Browse the websites and try to find your new bike.

First-hand impression

Imagine that a friend recommended the online store cykelpartner.dk and you decided to try and find your new bike there.

If you haven’t already been to the site, go to cykelpartner.dk.

Start by browsing the front page, and tell me what your first-hand impression is.

Assignment 1

Now, try to find a new bike that you like and fits your needs. Your budget is approximately $750.

Assignment 2

You don’t want your bike to be stolen again, so you’ll need a new lock that fits your bike as well.

Assignment 3

Buy the products, enter your information, but stop when you reach the checkout page.

More potential assignments

Potential final questions

2 Likes