Private, profitable, and people-first, we’re celebrating our 20th birthday. I’m Natalie Nagele, Co-Founder and CEO of Wildbit. AMA!

Hi Bridget :wink:

1. I think the biggest thing I’ve learned is to focus on what’s important. In the beginning we would frequently run towards something without really understanding why. From product features, to hiring for certain positions, or ways to market the app. Today, I can’t imagine starting anything without first really honing in on why we’re doing it. What this means is that making decisions, especially big ones, is much easier now. We start with why, and as we discuss and think, the right answer presents itself much faster than before.

2. Building teams will always be hard, because you’re dealing with humans, and humans are beautiful, messy, and worth the effort. At every stage along the way, the needs of the team have evolved. And being people-first means that we don’t just fire everyone and hire new people that fit the current needs. We take the time to figure out how we all fit into this thing together. People are the most important part of Wildbit, and will always be the biggest challenge.

3. What was easy in the early days was making decisions. We were a small team, and we could just decide something and run with it immediately. Frequently, these decisions weren’t well-thought-out. We were just responding to our gut instincts. Sometimes it flopped. Oftentimes these decisions would turn out great.

Today, our decisions carry more weight. We have a bigger team, we have lots of customers, and more to risk. So we try to make sure the decisions Chris and I need to make are less frequent, but have impact.

5 Likes