Private, profitable, and people-first, we’re celebrating our 20th birthday. I’m Natalie Nagele, Co-Founder and CEO of Wildbit. AMA!

Hi Aditi! What a great question, it really made me think.

When I’ve talked about our lack of marketing over the years, I feel it’s because we have always been so product focused. But the way you describe it makes me realize we care more about marketing than we make it seem :slight_smile: For Chris and I, building a product has always required us to understand its position in the market. Who are we building this for? How will they use it? Why are they choosing us or switching to us?

Our best way to understand our product positioning has been in speaking to our customers, and in hanging out where our customers hang out. We’ve frequently read threads in Hacker News or StackOverflow to hear about how others talk about us. And talk about our competitors. We haven’t always gotten it right, though.

I’m particularly thinking about Postmark in the early days. We built it when there weren’t any email providers focused on transactional. We were sending our own transactional emails for Beanstalk and had no visibility into their delivery. So when we built Postmark, our tagline was “Because you’re blind” referring to the lack of visibility for most app developers into how their emails were being delivered.

A few years later we were having dinner with some other founders and someone mentioned that Postmark gives them confidence that their email is going to get to the inbox quickly. It turns out, when a transactional email (like a password receipt) gets delayed, an app can lose a customer. Or that customer may email support, increasing costs for no reason. We repositioned ourselves pretty dramatically after that. We created a term called Time to Inbox. We started measuring our TTI and the TTI of our competitors. And we started messaging broadly that our promise was to save you the heartache of late-arriving emails.

This transformed Postmark’s trajectory. We hear our customers using our own words ALL.THE.TIME. It’s incredible.

4 Likes