I'm Nick Franklin, Founder and CEO of ChartMogul. AMA!

Hi Shruti, thanks for your questions :slight_smile:

So our two direct competitors have both built out features for doing email dunning, and we have long resisted adding this (despite many customers and prospects asking for it) as well as other features and add-ons we felt aren’t really in our sweet spot. We want to be the best in the world at subscription analytics and reporting, so we’ve gone really deep there, building out a lot of functionality that’s very specific to our domain that no one else has done before.

With regards dunning specifically, we actually partner there with an awesome company called Churn Buster who are really the best at dunning and that partnership approach works well where we can present a combined solution to a prospect consisting of the two best solutions for their respective domains.

I think if you don’t go really deep on solving one problem better than anyone else then you can end up covering a broader range of use cases, but your product can start to look like a Swiss army knife and as your customers scale they end up needing to move to more powerful domain-specific solutions. Having said that, to me Intercom feels a bit like a Swiss army knife for startups and they’re doing fabulously well (and we’re a customer).

What is the biggest lesson you have learnt from your competitors?

So our two closest competitors are both very good at marketing and evangelizing their companies, and I think it’s something we need to get better at. Our approach has too often been to let the product do the talking, but you miss out on a lot by just doing that. I should to do more AMAs :wink:

4 Likes