I'm Michael Pryor, Co-founder of Trello. AMA!

Early on, my recommendation would be to find the people that you think are a great target market for you and honestly - just build what they want. I think for vertical solutions like this, that’s the simplest cycle. Just be careful that you continue to find new customers that fit that bill (vs. just continuing to rely on the one to guide you).

2 Likes

Similar to Five Whys you can just keep asking the same question to customers to get to the root of what is going on…

Customer: “We need this export feature so I can send this report in Excel?”
Me: “Why?”
Customer: “My boss wants this report emailed to him on Friday and he only uses Excel”
Me: “Why does he need the report?”
Customer: “He wants to see how many tickets we’ve answered.”
Me: “What does that tell him, or in what cases would he be surprised or worried? Too few tickets? Too many?”
…etc.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Michael! Your humility shines through these responses. Thanks also for sharing a pricing decision that arose from following a leading company like Slack and that eventually backfired. Such a great lesson there on understanding one’s own context.

“None of it is easy,” you’ve written. And I agree. What really helps is founders like you and Joel, taking the time to share their unique journeys with admirable openness. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, Michael! I like that. Translating those founding opinions and insights as a way to scale product thinking across teams. And I’ll check out that documentary. :))

1 Like