I'm Janna Bastow, co-founder and CEO of ProdPad. AMA!

Hey Jonny, great to meet you!

I can definitely relate to having a product that requires a bit of work before you can show the value. To be fair, there are very few truly valuable products that don’t! That’s why onboarding is such an important aspect to just about any product, and why we’ve put so much effort into ours.

I’m happy to share some tips:

• Make sure you understand what value your users are expecting. You can often see this based on what landing page or article they came in from, or simply by asking them in any number of ways. Only then can you begin to ensure that you’ll show them the value they are looking for.
  • Onboarding should align the goals of the business and the user. Find the things in your app that both impress the users by showing off value, as well as correlate with ‘success’ (success metrics to us include things like conversion to paid as well as ongoing renewal and referral). We discovered these success metrics through data, and a lot of our aha moments came from simply having lots and lots of conversations with our customers. We do tons of 1-on-1 demos of ProdPad, and you can often actually hear the gasps of delight when we get to certain areas. Those are the wow moments that we learned to prioritise!

Also, a good onboarding constantly evolves. What worked for you in early days will need to be adjusted as you learn more and as your market changes. Like anything, test, measure and iterate. Good luck with your upcoming launch!

3 Likes