I'm Ching Goh, co founder and CEO of Piktochart and Piktostory. AMA! 🙋🏻‍♀️

Hi @aditi1002, Love your question and I do get asked this quite a bit.

I believe that the ecosystem is super key to help a business scale, not because of funding etc since we’re bootstrapped, but more for access to mentors/advisors, talent and even business partners!

Mentors/advisors
It has been harder to find mentors and advisors that are familiar with SAAS or visual communication space in South East Asia. So I’ve travelled frequently to the US to build and nurture a couple of connections. This was until the pandemic happened. I know that there are platforms that connect people online, but for an advisor type of relationship, I’ve often found it needful to build the relationship in person. The absence of advisors makes it easy for the founders to stay in their comfort zone :slight_smile:

Talent
As an all-remote team, we have had no such barrier as around 50% of our team currently works outside Malaysia. We are limiting our recruiting efforts to the Asian/European time zones due to proximity and the need for “sane” hour synchronous overlaps. Barring the pandemic, we usually meet at least once or twice a year.

In other words, I think founders of a global startup that is primarily based in Asia needs to take some very active steps to stay hungry, not be complacent, and do more in order to connect with customers/advisors in a different continent. Being all-remote definitely helps in terms of attracting and retaining talent!

2 Likes