I'm Bridget Harris, Co-founder of YouCanBook.me - Bootstrapping SaaS with a remote team. AMA!

Anushree - thanks for your question!

Firstly - Bootstrapping is an art not a strategy. It’s not for everyone, some people genuinely like the cashflow and support from investors, and it works for them.

Not everyone likes to juggle the last day’s take on Stripe to manage payroll :grimacing: or weedling out last minute overdrafts from banks to keep things going. But it felt right for me and Keith my co-founder, as a way of deliberately slowing things down so we could work at exactly what we wanted to do and not take on someone else’s cash and burn it on the wrong thing.

I did a talk on it at MicroConf a few years ago, so definitely watch that, but my tips are really the same. I don’t think there’s anything particularily special about bootrapping companies, it’s actually called in another world ‘building a business’ and people have been doing it for many thousnads of years.

The difference in the last few years is the enourmous bounty on offer for being in the first wave of software tools that has attracted venture capitalists and private equity, looking for huge gains.

But that is their business model -not yours.

If you want to bootstrap, you need to know long term what your profit model looks like, and whether you can scale that with more customers without adding exponetially to costs (by having to hire more people) which would wipe out your profit.

YCBM made a loss for 5 years in a row - but we were also growing really quickly, so I knew our income loss was off set by a cash in advacnce cushion and a long term gain.

But it’s a long term thing - there are no quick wins to bootstrapping and I would recommend NOT sacrificing everything for the sake of what you want to be a 2 year flip, which turns into a 20 yearlabour of love. Your family and friends wont thank you for missing all the parties!

4 Likes