Hey-oh! 🤠 I'm Josh Founder CEO of Referral Rock AMA

Can I say “it depends”? LOL

Overall I think you have to know your buyer. What is “normal” for them and how they buy? The buying process should be as frictionless as possible which usually aligns well with how they are used to buying. What’s normal for that industry, how are competitors priced and packaged, payments by ACH/check/CC? What are expected terms? Who has to approve it? Sometimes pricing can be an advantage if you’re making it even easier for an older industry.

I do believe if you have market pull… best in class… clear winner, you can start to have a change the game on pricing for your industry.

In my experience “rev share” is harder to pull off and also harder to track. Seems good in theory, but how do you keep it honest and keep incentives aligned for either party not to think they are being tricked by the other party. Also the economics start to get wonky as things scale. But if your in “payments” that’s the norm, so works fine.

Flat is normal and an easy bet in most markets, but I believe “usage-based” pricing is more of the future in SaaS. I feel like that aligns best with value delivered in many cases.

2 Likes