I'm Aye Moah, CEO and Co-founder of Boomerang. AMA about building a profitable, bootstrapped category-creating company

I think you are probably referring to something like Grammarly. And yes, that is definitely the typical approach as evidenced by Grammarly’s resounding success. And yes, we have considered and even started working on a standalone email client at some point in the company history. It’s just a little bit harder for us because email is such a sticky habit. Part of the magic of Boomerang for Gmail and Outlook is the fact that you don’t have to change your ingrained daily workflow to take advantage of our features. Our users loved how well integrated the product experience is. So the only alternative is for us to build an email client as good as Gmail or Outlook, competing with their decade of development and hundreds of engineers. What’s considered a table stake for an email client is such a higher bar compared to a service like Grammarly. Superhuman took about 3 years to build with several millions of funding as another benchmark to consider.

I think that’s where we are headed for the company’s future with our meeting scheduling. We are starting with the in-browser extension but ultimately what we are going to become is the platform for meeting scheduling that interoperates with every client and every calendar provider.

3 Likes